Thursday, July 07, 2011

In which I depart from O'Reilly and the other taking heads

Do I think Ms Anthony did it? Yes. However, I was on a jury recently where a man was accused of diddling his girlfriend's pre-teen daughter. Despite the fact the I believed he had indeed done it, I obeyed the judge's order and considered only the EVIDENCE of which there was NONE other than the girl's testimony.

I could not, in good conscience, vote guilty based ONLY on that. The SA offered NO evidence whatsoever. Unfortunately, there were some, most women, on the jury who were willing to vote guilty based on NO EVIDENCE. I stated emphatically that I wouldn't want to live in a country where you could be sent to prison based on one accuser's testimony and gut feelings.

In the Anthony case, there was apparently insufficient EVIDENCE to pass the "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard - no matter how much some people wanted her crucified.

Once again, our justice system is the worst in the world - except for all the others.

4 Comments:

Anonymous diane said...

There is still a dead two year old that ended up in a swamp. Although I'm sure there is a perfectly innocent explanation...

7/07/2011 7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me guess, the kiddy-diddler was white.

7/14/2011 9:55 PM  
Blogger Vonster said...

The black Kiddy Diddler I sat on the jury for walked with a hung jury.

7/18/2011 5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Casey Anthony: white, therefore innocent. Right Von?

1/01/2012 2:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home